Is Empathy only present if you are well and well fed?

Starvation Diet. What is it?

Mmmmmm chocolate, Mmmmmm sandwich, Mmmmmm doughnuts, Mmmmmm beer. Spoilt for choice. Trying to resist. When I resist I put the money in a pot. When the pot is full I send it (the money, not the pot) to somebody who needs it to survive. The art comes about through the documentation of the process, here and in other places. There is no end to this project.


15 May 2010

Not seen you for a while



Its nice to see people you haven't seen in a while. It was doubly nice yesterday because two people I'd not seen for a few months completely unprompted (honest) commented on how much weight I'd lost. One said something like, "Its not like you were a fat bloater before but you look like you've lost loads". The other I tapped on the shoulder in a shop and had a moment where she didn't recognise me. She said that she hadn't known if it was me at first site and that now I had bone structure in my face which was hidden before. This was a person I spent two weeks sharing a barn with so no stranger. These people, seen less often can see the change more markedly than those who see one every day or every week. All this is really good for the old self esteem but more than that It allows me to show that this change of mind and attitude inherent in the process really does work. The loss is not just happening because I use different scales each time, am rubbish measuring in the choke and rope technique, or due to dress sizes suddenly getting more generous. I look in the mirror I see a difference but people noticing makes It more real. The amount of money growing in my just giving pot bears testimony to the fact that I have resisted over £170 worth of non needed food. Its at this point of a usual diet that you might think GOAL WEIGHT I'll have a cake now and another and another and before you know it end up at your past weight again. But somehow I don't think I can allow that to happen. Firstly because its still the same arguments, I don't need it but somebody else does. Secondly as I have set this up as such a public endeavour and experiment it would be impossible to let it slip without debasing the whole project. Thirdly, while I may well be at a goal weight I'm not yet at my £10,000 giving target, by my reckoning that will take until I'm about 80 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment