Is Empathy only present if you are well and well fed?

Starvation Diet. What is it?

Mmmmmm chocolate, Mmmmmm sandwich, Mmmmmm doughnuts, Mmmmmm beer. Spoilt for choice. Trying to resist. When I resist I put the money in a pot. When the pot is full I send it (the money, not the pot) to somebody who needs it to survive. The art comes about through the documentation of the process, here and in other places. There is no end to this project.


15 May 2010

The trouble with diets




The thing which prompts most of us to diet is a certain amount of self loathing. I hate my belly, my bum looks big in this, I'm such a fat cow. All common phrases which populate our thinking on the brink of a bout of dieting. So it is with this travel bag of negative thoughts that we set off on our journey of deprivation. And we carry on down the path for several steps, noting no difference, falling over and ending up with our face in a cheescake or stumbling mouth open into a bag of chips. Each time we fall down the bag of negative thoughts gets bigger and heavier until we say "sod it, I'm not that fat really, I'm giving up" or "I'll always be fat, whats the point."

How does the process I've been through recently differ a bit. I think I started with a realistic picture of myself, I wasn't bad or gross or weak willed just a bit too fat. The journey started with an idea to do good for others, that was my main focus for at least the first few months. I had a few blips where I got a little self obsessesed but mainly I didn't notice the weight loss or not. I did notice the money growing in the pot and that made me feel good about myself because I was doing good. All this got me over those first few months when ordinarily I would have been wondering about if it was worth it and no doubt giving up. Now that I have started to see changes I have the double motivation. I have a small pair of jeans I'm refusing to take back to the shop. I'm sure that one day they will be less tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment