Is Empathy only present if you are well and well fed?

Starvation Diet. What is it?

Mmmmmm chocolate, Mmmmmm sandwich, Mmmmmm doughnuts, Mmmmmm beer. Spoilt for choice. Trying to resist. When I resist I put the money in a pot. When the pot is full I send it (the money, not the pot) to somebody who needs it to survive. The art comes about through the documentation of the process, here and in other places. There is no end to this project.


18 Jan 2010

The kindness of others

I was walking away from knitting group when Peggy, one of the groups oldest members at 80 something called me back. "Do you want this bit of chicken? I cooked it last night because I thought the children were coming round. It will just go in the bin otherwise." The chicken and stufffing which came with it was delicious, George and I had a right royal feast that night. Now I know that relishing donated chicken may not be what everybody would do but I can't help thinking why not? I'm not about to become a Freegan and start living out of bins just yet but if you can save perfectly good food from finding its way into the bin in the first place that must be a good thing. People seem to give me things they don't want a lot and I like that. There was the helicopter pilot headphones, bag of onions, vagina shaped cake and wooden deer from my train friend and the worn out hanging baskets and bike car rack from others. There have been countless bags of wool and old books on sowing and knitting. It all comes to use eventually and I admire the givers who get over their 21st centuary reservations and ask if I would like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment