Is Empathy only present if you are well and well fed?

Starvation Diet. What is it?

Mmmmmm chocolate, Mmmmmm sandwich, Mmmmmm doughnuts, Mmmmmm beer. Spoilt for choice. Trying to resist. When I resist I put the money in a pot. When the pot is full I send it (the money, not the pot) to somebody who needs it to survive. The art comes about through the documentation of the process, here and in other places. There is no end to this project.


29 Jan 2010

Slow art and Starvation diet

I showed two projects at the Slow art event on Wednesday. One was this project, the other Knit a Year. The other project involves knitting my mood each day for a year and more info on it can be found here
http://www.bethbarlow.com/completed_pages/knit_a_year.html
Kerry felt that The Starvation Diet project was slow art because it has no predetermined end, less knowledge of the final product or outcome and could go on even beyond my death. Also maybe it rings true to Kerry's ideas of slow art more because it doesn't sit within the establishment. I've been thinking about that one. Does slow art have to have these attributes to be slow art? I can see Kerry's point that if we are affixing the word slow to art we are setting it apart as something different from art and it is then important to define what that difference is. I had thought that it was partly to do with emphasis on the process and over dinner we discussed how all art has processes, some more explicitly stated in the final work. I found myself that evening trying to justify my thought that it was a difference to do with process but then my mind kept throwing up artists like Pollock and Yves Klein, both of whom have a clear statement of process within their work but are frenetic within that process. I don't know that slow art is a different beast than that which has gone before. I think that maybe it might be a returning to a place where the integrity, speed and completion of a work is based on an artistic and maybe ethical considerations rather than art establishment systems. A place were artists can spend a lifetime on a work if needs be, exposing it at key points perhaps. This leads to the question, do we also want to return to the point were creative people live and die in destitution or is there a way to construct systems which value this creative process and support it. For example, at present you will often get funding in a big chunk and have to spend it in a year or be employed on a project for a year, a week or sometimes just one day or hour. If funding and projects dripped down over a longer time what might happen then?
I don't know that it is a case of looking at projects and ticking them off as slow art or not. Maybe it is more about a change of attitude and this change will provoke changes in the work.
But I digress from The Starvation Diet project here so I'll force myself to turn around and look at it again. I was filling in the log sheets this morning and I realised that the end may come sooner than anticipated. The project could extinguish itself or perhaps metamorphosise when I get so good at not thinking about and exposing myself to bad food that I am no longer resisting and therefore no longer put money into the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment