Is Empathy only present if you are well and well fed?

Starvation Diet. What is it?

Mmmmmm chocolate, Mmmmmm sandwich, Mmmmmm doughnuts, Mmmmmm beer. Spoilt for choice. Trying to resist. When I resist I put the money in a pot. When the pot is full I send it (the money, not the pot) to somebody who needs it to survive. The art comes about through the documentation of the process, here and in other places. There is no end to this project.


9 Feb 2010

The photos

I feel a bit funny about posting these. They are people whose privacy should perhaps be preserved. But the photos are readily available on the internet, being used to forward positive causes and let people know things. So I have included links to these causes and brief descriptions with the images so that they don't get disembodied from the causes.















A 3 month old baby in Iraq suffering from dysentery due to toxic water.

I can not verify the motives of this site and some of the images are disturbing.

www.masters-of-war.org/deathculture2.html





















Taken from a site which helps investors to asses the risks and problems of investing in South East Asia. I've not included the link to this one as I don't know if this image should sit in a site about investing.














This one is from a sight which aims to look at a world different from capitalism. The actual child has become just another anonymous image.
http://money-free.ning.com/profile/jvretwf4uvru

3 comments:

  1. I'm really struggling with how I square the use of these images ethically. Would value comments on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could never, definitively, justify the use of these ethically.

    Artistically maybe...what impact are you hoping for? Is there any other way you could've achieved the same effect?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should ethics and Art not be one in the same? Should any activity and ethics not be one in the same?

    I think that it is partly to do with the way that the blogs get ordered, you should see the blog about why I harvested these pictures which talks about them as a motivator to make my own better choices first really. The project is just to detail my own journey and this may then provide one nugget of a way of pondering, being, progressing for others. Its not about creating guilt in others rather keeping my own thoughts focused and away from pure vanity. I need to think about how this arranges itself, how people encounter each bit in an order which makes sense rather than just relies on being cronological.

    ReplyDelete